Last Updated: March 31, 2020, 2:39 pm

OPINION: Working with family is harder than it seems

By:

Working with family can be hard task to deal with. Many people have a hard time separating the work life and family life from each other. Photo by Nickelle Blanton.

Working from home can be great, but working with your home – specifically those within your home – is a completely different story.

In a work environment, there are many unpleasant situations that may arise. The workplace involves difficult conversations involving pay cuts, letting employees go and inevitable awkward situations.

No one likes facing these confrontational conversations, and the only thing that makes it worse no comma is if the person you have to speak with is a family member.

Many individuals share the same work as their family members, which only makes the already awkward Thanksgiving conversations at the dinner table even more awkward.

There is a reason it is commonly recommended to have a distant work and home life balance, but if you work with one of your family members, this is almost impossible to achieve.

Working with family members shouldn’t be recommended because of the impact it has at work. It is important for me to go to work and not focus on what is happening back at home.

It is important for me to be able to focus on the title I hold at work. I do not only feel this is beneficial for me and my performance, but I also feel that my boss, coworkers and clients deserve this focus too.

Latest in Opinion:

If an individual from your family is sharing the same workspace as you, it is very difficult to focus on strictly work situations.  

Not only is it necessary to forget about your personal life while at work, but it is also important to focus on your home life while away from work. With all of the different responsibilities you must accomplish at work, a break is needed to be ready to do it all again the next day.

This is my first semester writing for the Dixie Sun News, and it is also my first semester to have my sister, Abby Doman, as my boss being the Editor-In-Chief.

I love my younger sister dearly and have nothing bad to say about her; however, I have noticed that the relationship we now have is starting to be taken over by conversations focused on work. It has definitely changed the dynamic of the way we talk, but I often feel like I am sometimes at work when we talk over the dinner table on Sundays.

” No one likes facing these confrontational conversations, and the only thing that makes it worse no comma is if the person you have to speak with is a family member.

Brock Doman, DSN Staff

If you are in a disagreement with a family member over a conflict while at work, it is hard to forget about this and leave it at work and not bring it to the rest of the family.

There are multiple different ways family members can create potential job opportunities for those in need in the family; however, there are more negatives than positives when it comes to working with your family.

Want to read more? Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for daily articles and updates!

Twitter
Facebook

Comments