Last Updated: December 21, 2017, 3:54 pm

Dixie Sun News’ opportunities provide real-world lessons

By:

By Andrew Hansen

For Dixie Sun News

The Dixie Sun News presents students with the opportunity of earning college credit while gaining experience, and don’t forget – there’s a scholarship.

Being a part of Dixie Sun News means providing Dixie State University students with a go-to source for information on all things DSU.

It’s crucial that students know what’s going on around them,” said Rhiannon Bent, assistant professor of communication and adviser for the Dixie Sun.

Along with scholarship opportunities, the work done on the paper provides the staff with experience they need to gain greater traction in today’s job market.

“Meeting deadlines is crucial to any work environment,” said Payton Davis, senior English major from Kamas and editor-in-chief of Dixie Sun News. “The experiences I have had on the Sun have developed skills you need in the workforce.”

Bent encourages students with prior experience – such as writing for their high school newspaper or taking a photography class – to consider joining the staff.

“Obviously, coming in with some kind of experience is going to be a good thing,” Bent said. “Some people just think, ‘Maybe I’m interested, so I’ll try it out,’ so it’s a good opportunity for people to really figure out whether journalism is for them.” 

While experience is always helpful, it is not required. Davis said he worked in construction before going into journalism.

Aside from interest, being on staff also takes time. Staff members can take up to three credits in Comm 2210 or 3210, with each credit equaling six hours of work time a week. Those hoping to qualify for the scholarship are required to take at least two credits.

The time required to devote to the newspaper may seem daunting to students who already have a lot on their plate; however, there is much fun and excitement to be enjoyed as a Dixie Sun staff member, said Taylor Decker, a junior communication major from Cedar Hills and Dixie Sun News sports editor.

Decker said she has had several experiences she would not have had if she was not a part of the staff. As the former editor-in-chief of her high school newspaper, Decker fell in love with sports and writing – so she combined her passions.

In doing so, Decker has met many people of interest and networking contacts, such as NFL scouts and coaches of professional sports teams.

If you would like to take advantage of the many opportunities offered by being a member of the Dixie Sun News staff, there are positions available for staff writers – for all sections, including sports and news – who write two stories a week and are taking, or have taken, Comm 1130. Multimedia reporting positions are also available for those who enjoy producing and editing videos for Dixiesunnews.com and the weekly news that is broadcast on Southern Utah Live.

You can fill out an application at http://bit.ly/xRNQfn. For more information, contact Bent at 435-652-7816, or email her at [email protected].

Comments