Last Updated: March 31, 2020, 8:12 pm

OPINION: Should our appearance dictate our success in the workplace, professionalism and career?

By:

Austin Mariano a junior computer science major from Maui, Hawaii has worked at the Dixie State University coffee shop for three years now with two tattoo sleeves covering both arms. Tattoos and piercings are a form of expression and should not be bias solely on their physical appearance and entirely on their credentials and ability to excel in the job. Photo by Jessica Johnson

Imagine walking into your doctor’s office and having him sit down with two full tattoo sleeves covering his arms, blue hair and a nose piercing.

Obviously he is more than qualified, but would his appearance change your trust in his work and would you feel his diagnosis was ethical?

Depending on who you are talking to and where you are from, having an openly visible tattoo, piercing, certain hair color, or even the way you are dressed, can determine whether or not you are considered to look professional, or even determine employment opportunities.

Living in Utah, beliefs and ideals are very conservative, but it is hard to understand how someone else’s idea of art or beauty can integrate with someone’s work ethic. Piercings and tattoos are a form of expression and should not have any bias towards them.

New research from LinkedIn reveals the bias against image could be causing businesses to miss out on top talent, the research shows that three-fourths of recruitment professionals think candidates image plays a significant role in the hiring process.