Last Updated: January 21, 2019, 11:53 am

DSU students need to take advantage of campus amenities

By:

Photo by Jessica Johnson.

College is hard. College makes you stressed out, anxious and self-aware. But it is also the place where you will find boundless resources to help you with whatever you are struggling with.

There are many reasons why students do not take advantage of available resources. Ignorance, forgetfulness, pride or anxiety can all prevent one from reaching out. In fact, I used to be one of these students. I was so caught up in my anxiety that I refused to reach out for help even when teachers requested I do so.

However, after getting my anxiety under control and exploring what the campus has to offer, I feel as if a whole new world has opened up to me. I not only use but also work at the Writing Center, Special Collections and Archives Library and the campus newspaper. I frequented the Career Center in order to help me achieve these positions and visited my academic adviser to make sure these positions would further my career goals.

Patricia Neill from AcademicInfo said, “Using these services can help you grow academically, teach you good time management skills that will stand in good stead all your life… advise you on courses to take for the career you want and assist you with all health concerns that arise over your college career.”

It will also help you prepare for life after college.

“The programs and experiences within campus facilities give students an opportunity to practice these relationships and roles in preparation for a post-college life in which our businesses, communities and neighborhoods need highly skilled leadership and participation,” said Loren Rullmen from Inside Higher Ed. “Developing a more sophisticated capacity to live, lead and contribute is not solely a cognitive exercise.”

Each of these places is filled with people who have applied to help you and want to see you succeed. They don’t care if you’re receiving the lowest grade in your class or if you are starting at ground zero; all they care about is helping you succeed.

As one of these workers, I can attest to this. It is my responsibility to take students as they are, not judge them or put them down. My only hope is that students leave feeling more confident and more knowledgeable than when they came in.

According to Dixie State University’s Academic Performance Center website: “[The tutoring center] want[s] to make sure that you receive personalized attention from tutors who have your unique challenges and academic goals in mind. We pride ourselves in our ability to provide targeted, one-on-one instruction at no cost to all [DSU] students.”

Some of the resources available on campus include:

• Academic Performance Center
  • Writing Center
  • Disability Resource Center
  • Peer Advisors
  • Math Lab
  • First Year Experience

So, students, get over that first hurdle. Take a leap and visit one of these on-campus resources. I guarantee you won’t regret it. To see a list of available amenities visit https://students.dixie.edu/.

Comments