Dixie State University's Student News Source

July 20th, 2018,

The Dixie Sun is still in need of section editors, staff writers and multimedia reporters. To apply, visit http://bit.ly/2kkyqjV

Arrests made in on-campus drug sweep

A drug task force operation took place at Dixie State University's Nisson Towers Friday around 9 p.m. Washington County agencies and six k-9 officers responded and searched on-campus housing.

According to a statement from DSU released on Monday, the agencies are working together to ensure the safety of the campus and the community.

This is the first time DSU has collaborated with the Washington County Drug Task Force for a campus operation  said Jyl Hall, director of public relations.

Brock Murphy Parrish, a freshman general studies from Kayenta, Arizona, was booked into Washington County jail at 11:30 p.m. Parrish was booked on a paraphernalia and Class B misdemeanor for possession of marijuana and spice. Parrish has since been released from custody.

There are several addendum to the DSU policy and the student housing handbook concerning drugs  that students agree to follow. Students also sign a contract to follow housing and campus policies.

According to the DSU policy for alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs, its goal is to provide an "effective and  safe and healthy learning and working environment with the Drug-Free Schools." It also states students are not allowed to engage in restricted behavior at university sanctioned event, such as consumption, possession or use of a controlled substance. 

"If there is a violation of housing rules and regulations the resident(s) involved meet with the director of campus housing Seth Gubler within a couple days of the incident," said Kyle Lindsley, a junior exercise science major from Tooele. "The resident life handbook says a resident in violation of alcohol and other drugs may be evicted."

Campus Police enforce both state and federal laws on campus.

"My team did a really good job with collaborating with other agencies at the scene,"  Isaacson said. 

Parrish is awaiting his student conduct hearing.

Comments

Tweets by @DixieSunNews