Dixie State University's Student News Source

December 12th, 2017,

Men's soccer suffers loss against No. 1 team in the PacWest league

The Dixie State University men's soccer team has faced some tough opponents this season only losing three games  placing them fifth in PacWest ranking. 

"We knew this game was going to be tough but we just made some line-up changes in preparation for this game."said head coach Jonny Broadhead.

Forward Moises Medina a sophomore general studies major from Mesquite, Nevada, was the leading scorer against Pont Loma, with three goals. DSU will close the season with three matches in California. The Trailblazers will play Fresno Pacific on Oct.26th in Fresno, California. They will then wrap up their California road trip at Concordia-Irvine on Saturday, Oct. 28.

"Scoring goals it does impact my team but I owe it all to them and all the credit to them, I may be the one  scoring but at the end of the day their the ones setting me up and giving me the shots I am able to take," said forward Moises Medina. "If it weren't for them I wouldn't be able to do what I do." 

The first loss of the season came on Sept. 30 to California Baptist University losing by one goal. Then taking a loss against Notre Dame de Namur University blanking 0-2, Oct.7.

"This team [Point Loma] has only given up seven goals all season, so [for to give up] four goals was surprising to us," said Broadhead.

DSU has only a few games left in the PacWest conference and the rankings show that some teams are currently undefeated while others teams have only lost one game.  

The Trailblazers  won their first-ever Pacific West Conference men's soccer championship, last year in the 2016-17 season. The Trailblazers are now sitting 10-3-0 on the season. 

Being a previous goal keeper on the team for the 2015-16 season student assistant coach Bradley Trella said, "There [are]  changes, there's a attitude about the team that we saw today, but every ones got heart and everyone fights." 

As the year comes to a close for the men's soccer, the team will be giving a farewell to its senior players Nov. 4 against Azusa Pacific University at 8 p.m. at Legend Solar Stadium. 

Comments

Tweets by @DixieSunNews